Great Australia Day Swim funding saves lives through drowning prevention
Rotary Club of Brighton and Swim Vietnam
Following Brighton Rotary's recent donation of $15,000 we received the following progress report from Swim Vietnam (Sponsor Report for the period of 1 April-30 June 2018). They thanked the Rotary Club of Brighton for supporting Swim Vietnam and said our support allowed them to continue their work in the prevention drowning and water safety lessons throughout Vietnam! They said they couldn’t do it without us.
What they have achieved:
- 855 children taught to swim in the last quarter at Nguyen Du, Luong The Vinh and Tien Phuoc pools and other pools will be completing their swim programs in mid-July.
- Our trainers, Trung and Chien delivered an Austswim teacher of swimming and water safety course to 11 candidates in Hanoi in partnership with Green Pool.
- 50 teachers from Quang Binh attended the Swim Vietnam teacher training course in water safety and swimming techniques.
- Our Austswim presenters, Long and trainer presenter, Cuc were part of the AUSTSWIM teacher of swimming and water safety courses held in Ho Chi Minh in partnership with Water Safety Vietnam. These courses were conducted in over a week for 65 candidates.
- Our Austswim trainer presenters Vu and Linh participated in presenting the AUSTSWIM teacher of swimming and water safety courses to additional 65 m students from the Ho Chi Minh university of physical education and sports with the assistance from trainers from Water Safety Vietnam.
- Our trainer Long assisted Mr David Field from Surf Life Saving Vietnam with the three-day training for advanced CPR, competitive swim strokes and lifeguard rescues with the US Army Pacific in Nha Trang.
- David Hurt from Royal Life Saving Australia and Swim Vietnam Trustee conducted the advanced CPR and First Aid training for the trainer staff of Swim Vietnam.
- 310 teachers from Quang Tri were trained in Swim Vietnam’s survival swimming skills & water safety knowledge course.
- 28 swimming teachers from Que Son attended the professional development training conducted by Swim Vietnam trainers for upskilling.
- Swim Vietnam conducted Swimming and Water Safety course for 10 teachers in 5 provinces of Vietnam: Thanh Hoa, Quang Binh, Nghe An, Vinh Long and Tien Giang. This was funded by Unilever corporation(OMO).
- Swim Vietnam delivered CPR training for 25 teenagers aged 14 to 21 of STREETS International as a charitable donation.
- 43 swim teachers from Hoian completed the Swim Vietnam professional development swimming and water safety training for upskilling.
- Our director, Doan Minh Trung was part of the workshop for implementation of child drowning prevention in Vietnam between MOLISA (Ministry of Labour, Invalids and Social Affairs), Bloomberg, WHO (World Heath Organisation) and GHAI (Global Health Advocacy incubator). The workshop
aimed to investigate drowning deaths in 8 different provinces: Lao Cai, Yen Bai, Ninh Binh, Thanh Hoa, Quang Binh, DakLak, Dong Thao, Soc Trang before carrying out the drowning prevention projects in these provinces.
What they Envisage in the next quarter to do:
- Special swimming Programs for children with disabilities from Kianh Foundation, Hearing And Beyond and CHIA (Children Hope’s In Action) funded by Water Skills For Life and Karma Group.
- Hold Austswim courses of teacher of swimming and water safety, infant and preschool aquatic and towards competitive strokes in July and August.
- Austswim presenter, Sue’s coming over to lead Austswim courses and assess Swim Vietnam’s teachers.
- Promote the lifeguard course.
- Build the social enterprise website in English and Vietnamese.
The Future going forward:
- Plan to teach additional 1500-1700 children to swim in the next 6 months in Quang Nam and continue to train additional 100 swim teachers of water safety and swimming across the region.
- Continue to delivering the based-classroom water safety lessons for children in winter time.
- Work with the government and other drowning prevention NGOs to spread classroom based water safety education to every school aged child in Vietnam.
- Become a training centre aiming at training teachers of swim skills, water safety education, lifesaving and first aid.
- Together with the government contributing to the drowning prevention for children in Vietnam.